‘Make’ is used for creating and producing things and refers to the result. Below are some of the examples for expressions with make:
Meal, Food & Drinks
- Make breakfast/lunch/dinner. Example: She is making lunch – she will talk to you later.
- Make a cup of tea/coffee. Example: I can make a cup of coffee for you, if you need.
- Make a reservation. Example: I am making a reservation for 9:00pm at your favourite restaurant.
Plans & Decisions
- Make a choice. Example: You have to make a choice to get the outcome you want.
- Make an arrangement. Example: I have made an arrangement for the party.
- Make a plan. Example: They made plans to ruin her life.
Produce a reaction
- Make someone happy. Example: Right words at the right time by the right person can make anyone feel happy & comfortable.
- Make someone sad. Example: His behavior was very disappointing and thus it made me so sad.
- Make someone angry. Example: The attitude of her lawyer made her angry.
- Make someone mad. Example: Hypocrisy of the world has made her mad.
Money & Efforts
- Make a contribution. Example: He has made a contribution of 2 lakhs to an orphanage.
- Make an investment. Example: After making an investment of 5 lakhs he is realizing that it was not worth it.
- Make an attempt. Example: Many students make a lot of attempts to clear SSC/Bank PO Exam.
- Make progress/improvement. Example: With continuous efforts, anyone can make progress.
- Make a decision. Example: Make a decision quickly as it is an important matter.
- Make a fortune. Example: He made a fortune by starting his own BPO in India.
- Make money. Example: I love my job, though I don’t make much money.
- Make a mistake. Example: She feels that she has made a mistake by accepting a big assignment.
- Make a complaint. Example: I wanted to make a complaint against them, but everyone stopped me.
- Make friends. Example: It’s hard to make friends when you are shy.
- Make fun of someone. Example: They always make fun of her looks & personality.
- Make a joke of. Example: He made a joke of his life.
- Make up. Example: We fight a lot with each other, but always make up at the end.
- Make a promise. Example: He made a promise to himself that he would never look back in his life.
- Make a phone call. Example: I made him a call to talk, but could not utter a word.
- Make a speech. Example: She made a speech on motivation to encourage her employees.
- Make a confession. Example: She never made a confession that she committed the crime.
- Make a prediction. Example: The astrologer made a prediction that she would become a successful person in life after her 40’s.
- Make an excuse. Example: Lazy people keep making excuses for not giving the results.
- Make an observation. Example: Psychologists made an observation about her behavior & needs and gave her suggestions after a few sessions.
- Make a comment. Example: He makes sarcastic comments on whatever she says.
- Make a difference. Example: His help made a difference in my life.
- Make a point. Example: Manisha made a lot of good points in her presentation.
- Make an exception. Example: Despite her hectic schedule, she made an exception for her needy friend to talk to her anytime.
- Make sure. Example: Make sure that you will be able to achieve your goal or else everyone will make fun of your ability.
- Make up your point. Example: I am unable to make up my mind right now, I don’t know if talking to my partner would help or ignoring him.
- Make a discovery. Example: During meditation, a lot of people discover their hidden potential.
- Make a list. Example: Everyone should make a list of things they wish to do before they die.
- Make way. Example: Make way to achieve your goals.
Written by Monica
Wabs Talk Team