1. Cram – Mug up, learn. Example: Most of the students cram all the chapters before exams.
2. Burn the midnight oil – read or study late into the night. Example: I burnt the midnight oil to get admission in IIM.
3. Flunk – to fail. Example: He flunked in two subjects in tenth standard.
4. Pass with flying colours – succeed in test, examination, selection process. Example: I passed my PGDM Exams with flying colours.
5. Kill the exam – do really well. Example: According to her, she killed her toughest exam
6. Piece of cake – very easy. Example: The exam was a piece of cake for me as I burnt the midnight oil during exams.
7. To put in a nutshell – to describe something in a few words. Example: To put in a nutshell, I am going to score good marks as I killed the exam.
8. To move heaven and earth – to do everything you possibly can do. Example: IIT aspirants move heaven and earth to clear the exam.
9. To pass by the skin of one’s teeth – narrowly, barely, narrow escape from disaster. Example: By scoring 35% in one of the subjects he passed by the skin of his teeth.
10. Blunder – careless mistake. Example: Don’t make blunders in your exam if you wish to score well.
11. Fruitful – rewarding, beneficial, producing good results. Example: It’s always fruitful to work hard to get the desired result.
12. At the eleventh hour – the last moment, the latest possible moment. Example: She crammed a few important lines at the eleventh hour.
13. Keep one’s fingers crossed – hope for good luck. Example: Before the declaration of result, all students keep their fingers crossed.
14. A brown study – a state of deep thoughtfulness, daydream. Example: I was lost in a brown study so could not understand the reality.
15. Roll up sleeves – to get yourself prepared, to get ready to do something difficult. Example: I have rolled up my sleeves to complete my book within a week.
16. Zero in on something – to focus all attention on something, to aim at a target. Example: Now a days am zeroing in on my work.
17. To commit (something) to memory – to learn by heart. Example: Everyone in our sessions, has to commit a speech to the memory before delivering it front of the class.
18. To sweat blood – to work really hard. Example: I am sweating blood to get what I want in life.
19. Miss the boat – miss the chance. Example: You may miss the boat to score more than 90% if you don’t burn the midnight oil.